Health insurance

Health insurance

Health/medical  insurance is obligatory for all foreign students!!
EU/EFTA Students
The European Health Insurance Card makes it easier for citizens of the 27 EU Member States (plus EFTA states - Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) to access health care services during their temporary stays abroad.
The Card grants them the same access to public sector health care (e.g. a doctor, a pharmacy, a hospital or a health care centre) as the one enjoyed by the nationals of the country they are visiting. Those receiving medical attention in a country that charges fees for health care, will be reimbursed either immediately, or after they return to their home countries.
NFZ - general information for EU/EFTA students concerning access to healtcare during temporary stay in Poland

Non-European Students
Prior to their departure, non-European students should purchase relevant health insurance in their home country, covering the duration of their stay in Poland.

Student should make sure the insurance period covers the whole period of studies (some insurance companies limit the number of days you can spend abroad). When using health services the student must present their insurance policy.

Depending on the terms and conditions of the insurance, the student can receive health care free of charge, or he/she will be charged, and will have to get reimbursement of the costs from their insurance company.

If the student does not have an insurance policy, he/she will be required to cover the health care costs by themselves.

It is also possible to purchase such insurance on the spot from National Health Fund (NFZ), which amounts to approx. 49 PLN per month.

If the student wants to join the NFZ, he/she should sign a contract with NFZ (the nearest NFZ office is ul. Jana Pawła II 7, Legnica). The student needs the following documents:

  • document confirming that he/she is a student of the The Witelon State University of Applied Sciences in Legnica issued by International Relations Office
  • student ID
  • passport or national ID
  • confirmation of address issued by the Dormitory
  • Polish personal ID number (PESEL) if the stay exceeds 3 months (issued by the Social Affairs Department at the City Hall)

Additional information
in the night time between  6:00 p.m  - 8:00 a.m. and holidays student may get a help in Specialized Hospital in Legnica (Wojewódzki Szpital Specjalistyczny w Legnicy)  at Iwaszkiewicza 5. Phone number: 76 72 11 000